Finding the perfect senior community for yourself or a loved one comes with a lot of pressure. Starting the journey to finding the best fit for a senior living community is one of the biggest challenges. Most don’t know where to start and what the process should look like. There is such a wide variety of Senior Living Communities that include different amenities. This is a big transition for many that needs to be completely thought through. Our checklist can help you determine what senior living community is right for you.
- Could I imagine myself or my loved one living here?
- Is the community clean?
- What does this community have to offer that my current living situation does not?
- Would myself or my loved one be proud to live here?
- What does the community landscape look like?
- What are the different floor plans?
- Is the community inviting?
- What does the community smell like?
- Is there a showroom I could see?
- What does the interior maintenance look like?
- How does this compare to my current living situation?
- Where are the common areas and how often are they used?
- Can you easily navigate the community?
- What does parking look like?
- Do they have a Community Life Coordinator?
- Is the location close to grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, and shopping centers?
- Are pets allowed?
- Does the community offer amenities that you would like to have incorporated into your daily life? (activities, theater, gym, spa, etc.)?
- What food and dining services are offered?
- Are the residents engaged in events?
- Are there any extra charges for amenities?
- Do the rooms have cable TV?
- Wireless internet?
- How are the staff members treating one another?
- How are the staff members treating the residents?
- Are the residents satisfied?
- How is the management team?
- Does the community give you contracts and agreements to review before you permanently sign to move in?
- Will the residents have to move if their care needs change?
- How often is rent paid?
- What is specifically included in the rent?
- How do they take payments? (Payment Reminders)
- Visiting hours?
- Are there safety action plans for the residents?
- Do the residents have access to emergency buttons?
- Are there pull cords for emergencies?
- What does the bathing safety look like? (Rails or easy-entry)
- Safety in bathtubs (non-slip surfaces, grab bars)
- What happens if there is a medical emergency? (Staff availability, night staff)
- Background checks on staff?
- Does the community perform safety drills?
Here at Woodstone, we take great pride in our communities. It’s important to ask these questions considering that the perfect community looks different for everyone. One of the best things about having a Community Life Coordinator is that you can let them know what your likes and dislikes are. They can adjust their calendar to fit in activities that each resident enjoys. This way, the residents can be as involved as they choose to be. Woodstone offers a variety of activities that can be catered to each and every resident. We encourage you and your loved one to come by to our facilities and ask for a tour! This way, you can have a greater understanding of our community and what sets us apart from others. Make sure to bring this list of questions on your tour and to stop by any of our communities today!